Note: the revision process may take a few iterations to get a manuscript into its best shape.
Step 1: Manuscript Evaluation
Once you have a draft, you need to figure out how to revise it. A manuscript evaluation is a thoughtful assessment of the manuscript’s strengths and weaknesses. I’ll give you an assessment of the overall manuscript and its fit into your chosen genre. This includes an assessment of the elements of story like theme, plot, characters, dialogue, pacing, tension, and setting.
- An editorial letter (up to 10 pages) with notes on what’s working, what’s not working, and suggestions for how to make the book even better.
- A 40-minute coaching call to chat about the feedback and make a plan for revising.
- This does not include comments or edits directly on the manuscript or corrections to spelling and grammar.
Commitment: 2-4 weeks
Step 2: One-to-one Revision Coaching
Once we’ve got a clear idea of the strengths and weaknesses from your manuscript evaluation, we will finalize a revision plan so that you can start revising confidently and strategically. Through regular writing deadlines and feedback on your pages, as well as opportunities to talk through questions, plot holes, and other writing challenges, you’ll feel empowered as writer to turn this rough first draft into something shiny.
- A revision plan to help you strategically revise rather than simply rewriting from the beginning to the end.
- Weekly email check-ins with writing exercises, assignments, and tips.
- Monthly or bi-weekly writing deadlines
- Feedback and encouragement on your manuscript as you revise it.
- Up to 20 pages per deadline, including margin notes AND editorial letters to help you understand what’s working, what’s not working, and find ways to improve the pages.
- A 40-minute coaching call after every deadline to chat through your questions, the feedback, and brainstorm our way through anything that’s blocking your progress.
Commitment: 3 months
Investment: $750 for 3 deadlines / $1500 for 6 deadlines
*Additional deadlines can be purchased on a monthly basis after the initial package.