I’m a week into NaNoWriMo and hoo-boy, it’s been interesting.
I’ve managed to write 15,001 words! Woot!
I’m tired. I’m starting to get sick. I’ve struggled. But, I’ve managed to get words on the page. Reaching this milestone a few days early is huge for me. With a busy week of life and work coming down the pipe, I had planned to get a few days ahead in my word count to make sure I didn’t fall behind. And I did it! Yeah!
But…I’m definitely into the “oh-my-goodness-this-story-is-complete-and-utter-crap” phase right now. I’ve complete left my outline in the dust (and I didn’t even really like my outline…). I made it a few scenes in before I started jumping around and missing things and…yeah…that planning thing didn’t work out so well. Now, I don’t really know where this story is going, but at least it’s words on the page.
I’ve learned a few things…
I have learned a few things during the last 15,001 words.
- Prep is important. Especially knowing WHO your characters are and what their BACKSTORY is.
- Prep is really important. Especially knowing the details of your WORLD. (And yes, I have previously written here on the blog about the importance of world-building. And no, I didn’t do any of that before I started writing.)
- Upbeat instrumental music and my rad headphones actually help me focus and write.
- I tend to make my characters look a lot. This is something that will definitely need to be edited out.
- I also, it appears, tend to write either great prose or lots of back and forth dialogue but not together. Again, this is something I will have to look into during the editing phase.
- I really wish I’d done more research or brainstorming about my world. I have a sentence in my head to describe what I’d like this to be but I know it is not coming through at all in my draft.
- I reaaaaaaallly want to go back and edit while I write but I’m trying soooo hard not to. It is very exhausting to fight this battle.
- I am determined to finish this draft (pretty much finish my first novel draft ever…I tend to give up/get distracted) and the NaNo goal is really helping me stay focused. I will win.
Okay–that’s probably enough random thoughts and feelings for you tonight.